This bejeweled mosaic garden heart is not only pretty, it’s super easy! This is a great beginner project because there’s no wrong way to make it.
For our mosaic garden heart, we picked out leftover tiles from other mosaic projects. We used metallic mini tiles, pieces of broken china, and small and large round tiles. Then we added in flea market jewels like a broken rhinestone earring, some flower pendants, and even shank buttons.
Here’s a video we made showing how we made the Mosaic Garden Heart. Follow along then use the step-by-step instructions below to make your own.
How To Make A Mosaic Garden Heart
Wooden heart, about 7-8”
White primer spray paint
Large, Medium and Small Round Tiles
Metallic Mini Tiles
Broken China Pieces
100% White Silicone
1. Spray paint the heart. This will help it weather the outdoors (although it won’t be 100% weather proof.)
2. Next cover the front of the heart with a 1/8 inch layer of white silicone. To do this, squeeze out the silicone and “frost” the front of the heart with the putty knife.
3. Now for the fun part! Press the jewels into the silicone. We think it helps to start with your best gems first so they are placed all over the project. Next add your largest tiles.
Medium sized goes next then finally fill in the small spaces with your smallest tiles. We added pearls and beads too for the littlest spaces. Be sure to press each item into the silicone. It will act as both the adhesive and the grout for your mosaic.
Want to get some flea market or thrift store china to use as tiles? Here’s a video we made showing how to break china into tiles for mosaic:
4. Let the mosaic heart cure over night.
5. Add hanger to the back. We used the silicone to adhere a hanger to the back. Depending on the thickness of your wooden heart you can either screw in a hanger or glue one on. The project isn’t very heavy so you will probably only need a light duty hanger.
Didn’t that turn out pretty!? It’s the jewels and tiles that do all the work! If you have any questions while you’re working on your mosaic heart, just leave us a comment and we’ll reply. We are here to help.
Jennifer & Kitty
Love it? Pin it! We thank you!