This Crystal Lariat Necklace is a beauty! And has a hidden plus. No clasp means it’s easy to make and easy to put on! We’ll show you how to attach the gold circle and crystal to the chain – all done with the same wrapped loop technique!
This lariat necklace is made by attaching a gold circle to one end of chain and a crystal teardrop to the other. To wear the lariat, you drop the crystal through the circle. When you shop for the gold circle and teardrop, make sure you can fit the teardrop through the opening in the gold circle.
Here’s a video we made showing every step to make the Crystal Lariat Necklace. Watch it while you make yours and if you want written directions, we have those too!
How to Make the Crystal Lariat Necklace
20″ Gold chain
Swarovski crystal teardrop bead, 8mmx9mm
Gold circle, 13mm diameter
Swarovski bicone crystal, 3mm
Gold bead, 3mm
Gold wire, 24 gauge
1. Start by attaching the gold circle to the end of the chain. To do this, cut a length of wire about 3″ long. Using the round-nose pliers, bend a 90-degree angle in one end about one inch from the end.
Reposition the pliers to the top part of the bend. Grasp the end of the wire with your fingers and pull it up and over the top jaw of the pliers.
Reposition the bottom jaw of the pliers into the partial loop you just made. Finish pulling the wire around to make the loop complete.
2. Slide the gold circle into the loop.
Grasp across the wire loop with the pliers. Using your fingers, take the tail of the wire and wrap it around the neck of the loop two times to make a wrapped loop.
Trim with the wire cutters.
3. Slide the bicone crystal onto the wire. Then make a wrap loop just as you did in step 1.
4. Slide the end of the chain into the loop. Then grasp the wire loop across with the pliers. Using your fingers, take the end of the wire and wrap it around the neck of the loop two times to make a wrapped loop. Trim with the wire cutters.
5. To attach the crystal teardrop to the other end of the chain, start by cutting a piece of wire about 3″ long. Center the teardrop on the wire.
Use your fingers to bend the two ends of the wire up and over the pointy top of the teardrop.
Pull one wire straight up and bend the other wire over 90 degrees.
6. Grasp the criss-crossed wires with the round-nose pliers and use your fingers to pull the 90 degree wire around the straight wire two times making two wraps. Trim with the wire cutters.
Slide the gold bead onto the wire. Make a wrapped loop in the end of the wire as in step 1.
Slide the end of the chain into the loop. Grasp the wire loop across with the pliers. Using your fingers, take the end of the wire and wrap it around the neck of the loop two times to make a wrapped loop.
Trim with the wire cutters.
7. To clasp the lariat, wrap the chain behind your neck and bring the ring and crystal teardrop around to the front. Drop the crystal through the gold ring.
Do you like lariats? We have more!
Tassel Lariat Necklace