Make organizing fun with fancy French hat boxes. Just decorate regular craft boxes with pretty papers and bows! Ooh-la-la! We took inspiration from the French Bakery Ladurée and turned our storage stack into French Hat Boxes.
How To Make French Hat Boxes
3 round craft boxes: 7½”, 9½” and 11 ½” diameters
light pink scrapbook paper, 12”x12”
black and white striped scrapbook paper, 12”x12” (“The Paper Studio” from Hobby Lobby)
black and white polka dot paper
Plaid FolkArt Acrylic Craft Paints:
Titanium White #480, Licorice #938, Seashell Pink #2485
Mod Podge Gloss
Beacon’s Gem Tac Glue
2 yards white satin wired ribbon, 1½” wide
1 yard white satin wired ribbon, 2½” wide
3 wooden craft circles, 2”
3 scalloped-edged round die-cuts, 2” (“The Paper Studio” from Hobby Lobby)
3 half-pearls, ¾”
57 half-pearls, 3mm
93 crystal adhesive rhinestones, 3mm
hot glue gun & glue sticks
paper cutter (optional)
1. Start by painting the small lid black (Licorice). Paint the top of the medium lid white and the outside edge black. Paint the large lid pink. Paint the wooden circles black and the die-cuts pink. Paint the top 2” of the small and medium boxes black and the large box pink (You need to paint this because the lip of the box shows when you take the lid off).
2. Next, brush a layer of Mod Podge onto the sides of each box (this will prime them). Decoupage the striped paper onto the sides of the small box and the large box, leaving about 1” uncovered around the top edge of each box so the lids will fit back on the boxes. (You may need to piece two pieces of paper together for the large box.) Let the Mod Podge dry, then coat each box with another layer of Mod Podge. Decoupage the polka dot paper onto the medium box, leaving about 1” uncovered around the top edge. Let dry and seal with a coat of Mod Podge.
3. For the small box, cut wide strips of pink paper (the width of the white stripes) and Mod Podge them over the white stripes. For the large box, cut narrow strips of pink paper and decoupage over the striped paper to create the black-pink-white-pink pattern. When dry, seal the sides of the boxes with Mod Podge.
4. Place the lids onto the boxes. Tie two bows with the 1½”-wide ribbon and hot glue to the front edge of the small lid and the medium lid. Tie a bow with the 2½” ribbon and hot glue to the front edge of the large box.
5. To create each medallion, Mod Podge a pink die-cut onto a black wood circle. Glue a large half-pearl in the center with Gem-Tac. Glue small pearls around the large pearl using Gem Tac and a toothpick. Then glue rhinestones around the circle of small pearls. Hot glue each medallion onto the center of each bow and finish by stacking the boxes.
Here’s a video we made showing how we glue small rhinestones.
Isn’t getting organized more fun when you have pretty storage boxes? We think so!!
Jennifer & Kitty
We love getting pinned!