Here’s a fun DIY that makes a great gift! Turn a t-shirt into a flowy scarf! All you need is a t-shirt and scissors. It’s super easy and we’ll show you how!
Start by finding the t-shirt. You could search though your closet for one you no longer wear. Or head to the thrift store. We bought ours at a discount store. Since we bought it specifically for this project, we got an XL. That way we could get more fabric out of it for our scarf. We recommend feeling the shirts. We chose one that was soft and stretchy. Imagine it around your neck. You want it to be soft!
How To Make A T-Shirt Scarf
Tools & Materials
Paper for template
1. Start by cutting the front and back out of the t-shirt.
2. Next, cut the fabric into 7″ squares. Place the fabric in stacks of four 7-inch squares.
3. Cut a 7” circle out of scrap paper. Here’s a template to print out.
Lay the template on one of the stacks. Cut the stack into a circle. Repeat with the other stacks.
4. Next cut the fabric stack into a spiral. To do this, start at the outside edge and cut in three quarters of an inch. Continue cutting a spiral to the center of the circle. Repeat for the other stacked pieces. (We found it easier to leave the stack on the table while cutting.)
5. Stretch the spirals out and tie the centers together with an overhand knot. Then fluff out the strands. Ta-da! So Boho!
If you’d like a fuller scarf, use two t-shirts! They could match or you could mix colors. You could even use a printed shirt. Wouldn’t that be fun?!
Jennifer & Kitty