We love gemstone chain. It’s so pretty! If you’re not familiar with it, it is chain with tiny faceted gemstones woven into it. You can buy it by the foot at bead shops and bead shows.
You might see it called beaded chain or bead and wirework chain. To cut it into segments, you have to cut one of the links. Don’t fret! Just cut the loops of wire that connect the link and save the tiny gemstone for another project!
Here’s a video we made showing just how easy this necklace is to make. Follow along then use the step by step instructions below to make your own.
If you liked our video, you may want to subscribe to our YouTube channel. We post a new how-to video every week!
How To Make A Pendant Necklace With Gemstone Chain
Gold calla lily finding
2 lengths of gemstone chain, 7.5″ long each
2 Gold jump rings
1. To assemble the calla lily and pearl pendant, feed the pearl onto the headpin. Then feed on the calla lily finding so the pearl nestles inside the lily. We found our calla lily finding at a bead show. If you have trouble finding one, try Etsy!
2. Make a wrapped loop at the top of the calla lily that loops through the ends of both lengths of gemstone chain. To do this, pinch the headpin wire above the lily with the tip of the round-nose pliers. Bend the wire towards yourself 90 degrees.
3. Reposition the round-nose pliers on top of the bend. Wrap the end of the headpin over the top jaw of the pliers to start the loop. Reposition the bottom jaw of the round-nose pliers into the partial loop.
Bend the wire the rest of the way around to make a complete loop.
4. Slide the last link of each gemstone chain length into the loop. Grasp the loop with the chain-nose pliers.
Wrap the end of the wire around the headpin two times.
Trim the end with wire cutters.
5. Open one of the jump rings. Slide the end of the gemstone chain into the jump ring, then slide one side of the clasp into the jump ring. Close the jump ring.
6. Repeat step 5 to add the other side of the clasp to the other end of the necklace.
Once you learn how to work with these materials, you can substitute any style of gemstone chain. And you can use any pendant you like!
Jennifer & Kitty
We love it when you pin our projects! Hover over the picture below to see the Pinterest pin button.