Learn to tie a perfect bow and make all your gifts look like they were wrapped by professionals! A real ribbon bow is the perfect finishing touch for a gift, a craft, or a wreath. We’ll show you, step by step, how to tie a bow without having it twist around on itself. Plus we’ll share our tips for styling the bow and different ways to cut the tails.
Here’s a video we made showing how we like to tie a bow. Follow along then use the steps below to make your own. Then practice! You’ll be tying like a pro in no time!
How To Tie A Perfect Bow
1. To make a perfect bow you’ll need ribbon and sharp scissors. Wrap the ribbon around the gift and tie the ends.
2. Make a rabbit ear loop in each end of the ribbon.
3. Tie the rabbit ear loops together.
5. Pull the tails to adjust the size of the loops.
6. Fluff the loops to style the bow.
7. Cut the tails. Here are three options for cutting the tails.
Cut the tails at an angle horizontal to the box.
Cut the tails straight across.
Or fold the tail and cut at an angle to get a fork in the tail.
We love making bows like this for crafts. We use them on spa crafts around the neck of Mason jars and on sachets. We also use this kind of bow for wreaths. This is also a good bow for a girl’s hair ornament.
And, of course, these bows are great for wrapped gifts! When we wrap a present, we like to use double-sided satin ribbon, but you can use grosgrain, wired ribbon, or even twine.
Jennifer & Kitty