Here’s a fun craft to make with kids, a Rainbow Spool Necklace! We made this necklace with wooden craft spools (yes, they sell empty spools just for crafting!), but you could dig through your sewing box for spools to recycle. Then we just wrapped each spool with a different rainbow color and strung them with pony beads on ribbon.
7 wooden spools, 3/4″ x 1″
satin ribbon, 1/8″ wide: red, orange, yellow, green, turquoise, cobalt, purple
1 pony bead in each color: orange, yellow, green, turquoise, cobalt, purple
2 pony beads: red
white craft glue
1. Glue the end of the red ribbon to the middle of a spool. Wrap the ribbon around the spool until the spool is covered. Cut the ribbon and glue the end down.
2. Wrap each spool with a different color of ribbon until all the spools are covered and you have a rainbow of spools.
3. To make the necklace, cut a 24″ piece of the turquoise ribbon. Slide a red pony bead and the red spool onto the turquoise ribbon.
4. Continue sliding the spools then their matching pony bead onto the ribbon in the order seen in the picture. Finish by sliding the other red pony bead onto the ribbon.
5. Tie your necklace on with a bow and trim the ends.
Have you made other things with old wooden spools? We find them at the flea market all the time and have jars full of them, so we are always looking for new projects to make with old spools. Share yours with us!
Jennifer & Kitty
If you like it, go ahead and pin it! We’d love it!
Do you craft with your kids or grandkids? We have lots of projects you might like. Check these out: