Make these cute Punched Tin Heart Earrings from a soda can! We’ll show you how to cut open the can, how to use a hole punch to make the hearts, and how to turn the tin hearts into earrings. We have a video and written instructions. And if you have any questions or comments, please leave a comment! We love hearing from you and we want to help!
Jennifer & Kitty
Here’s the video we made showing all the steps to create the Punched Tin Heart Earrings.
How To Make Punched Tin Heart Earrings
1 Soda can, empty and rinsed
Pair of kitchen scissors
Heart craft punch, about 1″
Paper hole punch (office supply type)
2 Earring wires
2 Jumprings, 6mm
2 Crystal beads, 2mm
2 pairs of jewelry pliers (like round-nose and chain-nose pliers)
1. Poke a hole in the side of the can using one blade of the kitchen scissors. Be careful. The tin is really plastic coated aluminum and not sharp. But still…be careful!
2. Slide the scissors into the hole and cut the can around the top. Remove the top of the can.
3. Cut down the side of the can going through the printed area you don’t want to use in your earrings. Then cut off the bottom of the can. Recycle the top and bottom.
4. Dry off the “tin” piece and stretch it out flat.
5. Slide the heart punch over the tin and find an area to punch for your earrings. We like to use the punch upside down to see through the little window what part of the design we are punching. Punch the heart out. Repeat to make a second heart.
6. Use the paper hole punch to punch a hole in each heart.
7. Slide a heart onto a jump ring.
Then use the two pliers to close the jump ring. Repeat for second heart.
8. Open earring wire and slide on jump ring and heart. Close the earring wire. Repeat for second earring.
9. Slide a bead onto each earring wire.
Try this with other cans and hole punches. It’s fun and practically free! Let us know if you have any questions. We are here to help you!
Jennifer & Kitty
Here are some more fun earrings:
Mini Tassel Earrings