This Black Crystal Necklace is our new favorite piece of jewelry – perfect to wear with blue jeans or a little black dress. And it is so easy to make. We’ll show you how to use a headpin to attach a black crystal to the chain. Then you just make the same beaded dangle over and over until you have a necklace full!
This necklace is based on our Dangling Bead Necklace Lesson which we just shared on Skillshare. You can take the whole lesson for free! Just follow this link. (It is a really fun place to learn and the class is so fun!)
You can make this necklace with any crystals you like. We’ve done it with an ombre of blues and greens, a mix of browns and ambers, and all the same color – this greenish black crystal. It also makes an elegant bracelet.
How To Make A Black Crystal Necklace
Open loop chain, silver-plate or silver color
20 faceted rondelle crystal, 6mmx8mm, black (These are sometimes called Chinese Crystals.)
20 ball heads pins, gold-plate
Lobster clasp, gold-plate
Gold-plated jump ring
1. Cut a 15″ piece of chain.
2. Slide a crystal onto a head pin. Make a wrapped loop to attach the headpin and bead to the chain. To do this, grasp the headpin above the crystal with the round-nose pliers. Bend the wire end 90 degrees. Reposition the round-nose pliers just above the 90-degree turn and wrap the end of the headpin over the top jaws of the pliers. This is the beginning of your loop. Reposition the bottom jaws of the round-nose pliers into the partial loop. Bend the end of the wire the rest of the way around the jaws to make a complete loop.
Here’s a video we made showing how to make a wrapped loop:
3. Slide the loop onto the center link of the gold chain. Hold the loop with the chain-nose pliers and wrap the end of the wire around the beaded headpin two times. Trim the end with wire cutters.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to add beads to every other link in the chain going out from the center.
5. Open the jump ring using both sets of pliers. Slide the lobster clasp onto the jump ring, then slide the jump ring onto the end of the chain. Close the jump ring.
This pretty little necklace has so much movement when you wear it. We think you’ll love it!
Jennifer & Kitty
We love getting pinned!