Make a darling pair of Chain Tassel Earrings that go with everything! We’ll show you how to make your own DIY tassels from silver chain and how to turn them into earrings. These are easy to make and look so good!
Here’s a video tutorial from our YouTube Channel that will show you exactly how to make the chain tassel and how to make the earrings. Watch it to see the steps, then use the instructions below to make your own Chain Tassel Earrings.
How To Make Chain Tassel Earrings
26-gauge Wire, silver or silver-plated
18″ Chain, 2mm wide, silver or silver-plated (open loop, big enough to feed the wire through)
2 Beads, silver or silver-plated (large hole, big enough to feed two wires through)
2 Earring wires, silver or silver-plated
1. Start by cutting the chain into one-inch pieces. To cut the chain, cut one of the links using the wire cutters.
We like to lay the chain on a ruler and cut the wire by pinching straight down on the chain. You will need 8 pieces of chain for each earring, so cut 16 pieces.
2. To make the tassel, cut a piece of silver wire about 3 or 4 inches long. Use your fingers to bend the wire into a hairpin shape.
3. Feed the last link of each piece of chain onto the hairpin wire. You will want to feed 8 pieces of chain total onto the hairpin.
4. Press the hairpin wires together and feed the ends up through one of the beads.
5. Pull the hairpin wires up through the bead, pushing the bead close to the chain tassel.
6. Next, make a wrapped loop in the two wires coming out of the bead. We usually make a wrapped loop with just one wire. For these earrings we are going to make the same wrapped loop using the same technique, but we will do it with two wires at the same time. Start by grasping the two wires together with the round-nose pliers.
7. Bend the wire over the pliers 90 degrees.
8. Reposition the pliers into the top of the bend. Then push the wire over the top jaw of the pliers to make a partial loop around the pliers.
9. Reposition the pliers so the bottom jaw is in the loop. Bend the wires the rest of the way around making a complete loop.
10. Grasp the loop across with the pliers, then take the tails of the two wires and pull them around the neck one time. This is the wrapped part of the wrapped loop.
11. Trim the ends of the wires.
12. Feed the top loop of the tassel onto the earring wire and nestle it into the hook. Use the pliers to close the earring wire.
13. Repeat to make a second earring.
Aren’t these Chain Tassel Earrings sweet? You could make them in a different metal or with different style chain. Just make sure the chain loops are big enough that you can fit the wire through them. If you have any questions about this or any jewelry making project, ask in the comments and we’ll reply. We are here to help you!
Jennifer & Kitty