We are big-time birdwatchers, so when we spotted this cute bird charm at the craft store, we just knew it had to come home with us. We decided to turn it into a necklace with a blue bead dangle for added color and movement. It was so easy to make, we thought we’d show you how we did it so you can make one, too!
Here’s a step by step video we made showing how to create the crystal dangle, how to add the charm, and how to attach the clasp to the chain.
How To Make A Delicate Charm Necklace
1 Bird charm, 14mmx18mm
1 Crystal bicone, blue, 3mm
1 Ball headpin, silver-plated
3 Jump rings, silver-plated, 4mm
Silver-plated chain (fine)
1 Lobster clasp, silver-plated, 3mmx8mm
1. Slide the crystal bicone onto the headpin.
2. Pinch the headpin wire with the round-nose pliers just above the crystal.
3. Bend the wire 90 degrees.
4. Reposition the pliers to the top of the 90 degree bend. Push the wire over the top jaw of the pliers.
5. Reposition the bottom jaw of the pliers into the bend and pull the wire the rest of the way around to make a loop.
6. Hold the loop across with the pliers and wrap the tail of the wire around the neck two times.
7. Trim the wire using the wire cutters.
8. Hold a jump ring with the two sets of pliers, one on either side of the opening. Rotate one pliers toward the ceiling and one toward the table to open the jump ring.
9. Put the crystal dangle on the jump ring.
10. Add the bird charm to the jump ring.
11. Close the jump ring using the two pairs of pliers.
12. Cut a piece of chain 16 inches long using the wire cutters.
13. Drop the end of the chain into the closed jump ring with the dangle and bird charm.
14. Open the jump ring on the lobster clasp using the two pliers method in step 8.
15. Slide the open jump ring through the last link of one end of the chain.
16. Close the jump ring.
17. Open the last jump ring using the two pliers method in step 8.
18. Slide the open jump ring through the last link of one end of the chain. Close the jump ring.
Once you learn to make this simple delicate charm necklace, you can make all kinds of variations. Any charm,with or without the dangle, the sky’s the limit! If you need any help, leave us a comment. We’re on standby for you!
Jennifer & Kitty