Learn how to make a trendy pair of Gemstone Chip And Chain Drop Earrings. You won’t believe how easy it is! We’ll show you every step to make these DIY earrings, including how to cut chain and how to make beaded dangles using headpins. What a fun way to showcase real gemstones in a delicate pair of ultra-wearable earrings!
In this video tutorial we’ll show you how to stack gemstone chips onto a headpin to make a gemstone dangle. And we’ll show you how to cut the chain and attach the dangle to finish your drop earrings. These take only five minutes to make!
Disclosure: This post has some affiliate links for products we think you’ll like. Even if you don’t want to buy the items online, we think it’s helpful to see what they look like, so you can buy them at your local craft store. If you make a purchase from one of these links, we’ll make a small commission. There is no additional cost to you at all, but it helps us a little so we can pay for our web hosting and the tools and materials we use in these videos and blog posts. All opinions are our own from our own personal experience.
How To Make Gemstone Chip And Chain Drop Earrings
Apatite gemstone chips
Loop chain (Ours is 4mm wide.)
2 Ball headpins, silver
2 Earring wires, silver
Steps To Make Each Earring
1. To make these chain drop earrings, start by cutting a piece of chain about 5 links long. To cut the chain, count 5 links, then cut through the 6th link.
2. Next, feed 3 gemstone chips onto a headpin.
3. Make a wrapped loop in the headpin. To do this, grasp the headpin wire just above the gemstone chips.
Bend the tail of the headpin wire over the pliers 90 degrees.
4. Reposition the pliers to the top of the 90-degree bend.
Pull the wire around the top jaw of the pliers to make a partial loop.
5. Reposition the pliers so the bottom jaw is in the partial loop.
Pull the tail of the headpin around the pliers the rest of the way to complete the loop.
6. Slide the last link of the piece of chain into the loop.
7. Hold the loop across with the pliers and pull the tail around the neck just above the gemstone chips and below the loop. Wrap this wire around two times.
8. Trim the wire with the wire cutters.
9. Slide the top link of the chain into the earring wire. Press the earring wire closed. Repeat to make the second earring.
How sweet did these turn out? We love them! And there are so many gemstone chips to choose from. We think these would look great made with labradorite, lapis lazuli, or aquamarine! Here are some we found on Amazon.
Let us know if you make these!
Jennifer & Kitty
We love it when you pin us!