We love the simple elegance of these Crystal Wrapped Hammered Bar Earrings!
How To Make Crystal Wrapped Hammered Bar Earrings
24 Faceted crystal rondelles, red, 2mmx3mm
20-Gauge silver wire
24-Gauge silver wire
2 Silver earring wires
Jeweler’s block (also called a steel block)
Mouse pad (optional)
1. To make the hammered earring bar, start by cutting a 2″ piece of 20-gauge wire. Make a simple loop in one end of the wire. To make a simple loop, grasp one end of the wire with the round-nose pliers and rotate to make a complete loop. Gently bend the wire so the loop sits centered on top of the bar.
2. Set the other end of the earring bar on the jeweler’s block. Use the flat end of the jewelry hammer to flatten the last ¼” of the wire. To reduce noise and prevent slipping, it helps to place the jeweler’s block on a mouse pad. Hammer the end a few times to create a paddle shape. Use the round end of the hammer to give the flattened, paddle shape a dappled look.
3. Cut a 4-inch piece of 24-gauge wire. Wrap the wire around the bar 3 times just below the simple loop.
4. To make the beaded swirl on the bar, slide 3 beads onto the 24-gauge wire. Bend the beaded wire into an arc-shape, then wrap the wire around the bar 3 times to secure.
5. Pull the wire to the other side of the bar and slide on 3 more beads. Bend the beaded wire into another arc shape, then wrap the wire around the bar 3 times.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make 2 more beaded arc shapes on the bar, finishing with 3 wire wraps around the bar. Trim the end of the 24-gauge wire.
7. Open the loop on an earring wire using the pliers. Slide the simple loop at the top of the bar onto the open loop, then rotate that loop closed. Repeat to make a matching earring.
The faceted crystal rondelles really make these Crystal Wrapped Hammered Bar Earrings sparkle. And you can make them in any color you’d like!
Jennifer & Kitty