We love making jewelry and this Crystal Illusion Necklace is one of our favorites! The way the beads seem to float on the necklace makes it elegant and really shows off the crystals.
Even if you’ve never made a piece of jewelry before, you can make this crystal illusion necklace. We’ll teach you what tools and materials you’ll need. You’ll learn how to arrange the beads and how to attach them to bead stringing wire using crimp tubes. And you’ll learn how to finish a multi-strand necklace and how to put on the clasp. Once you get these basics, you’ll be able to make your own crystal illusion necklaces. Make a single strand necklace, change the colors, make it yours!
Follow along with us on the video, then make your own using the step-by-step instructions below.
Video How-to: Crystal Illusion Necklace
How To Bead A Crystal Illusion Necklace
30 Faceted crystal beads, turquoise, light blue, cobalt, 6mm to 16mm
32 Faceted crystal bicone beads, turquoise, light blue, cobalt, teal, 3mm to 5mm
60 Crimp tubes, silver, size #1
2 Clamshell bead tips with loops, silver, 3mm
2 Jump rings, silver, 16mm
1 Lobster clasp, silver, 12mm
Bead stringing wire, 19-strand, silver color
Jeweler’s glue (like G-S Hypo Cement)
1. Cut three strands of bead stringing wire in the following lengths: 20″, 20½”, and 21″. This will make a “Princess” length necklace. Here’s a visual of necklace sizes to see how long they hang.
2. Starting with the 20″ strand of bead stringing wire, slide a crimp tube, a crystal bead, and another crimp tube to the center of the beading wire. Flatten the crimp tube on one side of the bead with the chain-nose pliers. Hold the bead firmly against the flattened crimp tube, slide the other crimp tube up against the bead, and flatten it with the chain nose pliers.
3. Feed on another crimp tube, a bicone bead, a crystal bead, another bicone bead, and a crimp tube. Slide the crimp tubes and bead cluster ¾” away from the first bead and flatten the crimp tubes on either side to hold the cluster in place.
4. Continue adding beads flanked by crimp tubes to the bead stringing wire until your strand has ten beads or bead clusters crimped onto it. Just vary the beads and bead clusters as you go and make sure they are about ¾” apart so sections of the bead stringing wire shows.
5. To bead the 20½” strand of bead stringing wire, slide a crimp tube, a crystal bead, and another crimp tube to the center of the beading wire. Lay the strand next to the beaded 20″ strand so the ends are lined up. Slide the bead and crimps slightly away from the center so they line up between the beads on the beaded strand. Flatten the crimp tubes on either side of the bead with the chain nose pliers. Keep adding beads and bead clusters to the strand and crimping them in place until your strand has nine or ten beads or bead clusters.
6. Repeat to bead the 21″ strand of beading stringing wire using the same technique.
7. To finish the Crystal Illusion Necklace, feed the end of the 20″ strand up through the hole in the bottom of a clamshell bead tip. Slide a crimp tube onto the end and flatten it as close to the end of the wire as you can. Feed one end of the 20½” strand up through the bottom of the same clamshell bead tip. Flatten a crimp on the end of the strand. Feed the last strand up through the same clamshell bead tip and flatten a crimp on the end. Slide the clamshell bead tip up the strands so the crimps sits inside the clamshell. Add a drop of jeweler’s glue to the crimps inside the clamshell. Use the chain-nose pliers to gently close the clamshell and close its loop. Finish the other ends of the three strands using the same technique.
8. Using the chain-nose pliers and round-nose pliers, open a jump ring like you’d open a door. Slide the lobster clasp and the loop of a clamshell bead tip onto the jump ring, then close the jump ring. Open the other jump ring the same way, slide on the other clamshell bead tip, and close the jump ring.
Remember, if you have any questions while you’re working on your crystal illusion necklace, we’re here to help. Just leave us a note in the comments and we’ll respond! Or if you just want to say hi. We’d love to hear from you!
Jennifer & Kitty
We love getting pinned!