Have you ever tried to etch wine glasses? We love etching because it is so transformative. And amazingly easy! We’ll show you how to use chemical etch cream and stickers from the craft store to etch wine glasses. The result is stunning!
Even if you’ve never used etched cream, you can do this project. Here’s a video we made showing how we etched the wine glasses – every step! Follow along, then use the instructions below to make your own. Your friends will be shocked to learn that you etched them yourself!
How To Etch Wine Glasses
4 wine glasses
Armour Etch Cream
Scroll and swirl stickers
Soft bristle craft paintbrush
Timer (You can use your cell phone.)
Steps (For One Wine Glass)
1. Start by masking off the area you want to etch. We masked the bottom stem so the etching would only be on the bowl.
2. Next create a custom design using stickers on the bowl of the wine glass. Where you place a sticker will not be etched. The areas between the stickers will be etched. When you buy your stickers, notice the actual cut-out shape of the sticker. It’s the silhouette of the sticker that will be etched into the wine glass. We chose swirls and scrolls to create a tendril design. But you can choose any stickers you want! Just shop the sticker section and get inspired!
3. Once you have created your sticker design, clean the glass bowl between the stickers using a rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab to remove fingerprints. You don’t want to etch your fingerprints onto the wine glass!
4. Now for the etching! Put on your protective gloves. Reread the instructions on your etch cream for good measure. Our etch cream recommends using a soft bristle paintbrush. We like to paint a “gloompy” thick layer of etch cream all over the bowl of the wine glass. Cover all the stickers completely so you can’t see your sticker design through the etch cream. Start your timer and let the etch cream work it’s magic for one minute. Rinse the wine glass off under running water until the etch cream appears to be gone. (There will still be a little around the stickers.)
5. Peel off the masking tape and the stickers. Rinse the wine glass one more time. As the glass dries, your etched design will emerge. Tada!
Etching wine glasses is a terrific way to personalize cocktail glasses or wine glasses with names, initials, or phrases. Use letter stickers to create your design. Are you nervous about etching? Ask us any questions. We’re here to help!
Jennifer & Kitty