Make a Birthstone Necklace featuring the birthstones of the kids or grandkids. We think this would be a terrific gift for a sister, aunt, Mom, or Grandmother. The Birthstone Necklace is really easy to make! And so pretty!
We have a video that will show you how to attach the birthstone gems, how to add the bar pendant to the chain, and how to add a heart charm to complete the necklace. Because this is a lariat, there’s no clasp. So it’s easy to make and easy for anyone to wear! Watch the video and follow along, then use the steps below to make your own Birthstone Necklace.
Video How-to: Birthstone Necklace
Disclosure: This post has some affiliate links for products we think you’ll like. Even if you don’t want to buy the items online, we think it’s helpful to see what they look like, so you can buy them at your local craft store. If you make a purchase from one of these links, we’ll make a small commission. There is no additional cost to you at all, but it helps us a little so we can pay for our web hosting and the tools and materials we use in these videos and blog posts. All opinions are our own from our own personal experience.
How To Make A Birthstone Necklace
Swarovski flatback crystal rhinestones, 4mm (Ours crystals are Aquamarine, Lt. Amethyst, and Rose. Here’s the chart we used to find out the birthstone colors.)
18″ Loop chain, rose gold
Open heart charm, 12mmx16mm, rose gold
Bar pendant blank, 5mmx35mm, rose gold
2 Jump rings, 5mm, rose gold
1. Start by gluing the birthstone crystal rhinestones to the pendant blank. (We use tweezers to hold our rhinestone gems so our fingers don’t get in the way.) Squeeze a little glue onto a scrap piece of paper. Then pick up a little glue with a toothpick and dab it onto the back of a rhinestone.
2. Use the tweezers to place the rhinestone on the pendant. We recommend using a new, clean toothpick to press the crystal rhinestone into place.
3. Continue adding the rhinestones in the same way, then let the glue dry.
4. Next open a jump ring using two pairs of pliers. To do this, find the cut in the jump ring then grasp to one side of it with one pair of pliers. Then hold the jump ring on the other side of the cut with a second pair of pliers. Rotate one pair of pliers up and the other down. This will open the jump ring while maintaining its round shape.
5. Next slide the heart charm into the open jump ring.
6. Then slide the last link of the chain into the jump ring with the heart charm. Press the jump ring closed.
7. Almost done! Use two pairs of pliers to open the other jump ring.
8. Slide the birthstone bar pendant into the open jump ring, then slide in the last link of the other end of the chain.
9. Press the jump ring closed.
To wear the Birthstone Necklace, slide the birthstone pendant through the opening in the heart charm. It’s a lariat! Do you like the idea of a Birthstone Necklace? We’d love to hear from you.
Jennifer & Kitty