Give a gift that is totally the bomb with these lime-and-mint-scented Mojito Bath Bombs.
They are loaded with moisturizing grapeseed oil, a zingy minty scent, and enchanting iridescent soap glitter. And when you drop them in the tub, they fizz and fizz and fizz! Your friends will be tickled, literally!
Materials & Embellishments
3 cellophane favor bags, 4” x 6”
3 pieces of lime and yellow striped ribbon, 1½” wide, 12” long
3 pieces of pale mint ribbon, ¼” wide, 5” long
3 round tags
Lime Sharpie, fine point
Kelly green card stock
Spearmint essential oil
Citric acid (“Sour Salt”), 4 tablespoons
Cornstarch, 4 tablespoons
Baking soda, ½ cup
Grapeseed oil, 3/8 cup
Iridescent soap glitter, 2 teaspoons
Lime green soap dye
Tools & Supplies
Melon baller or scoop, 1½” diameter
Small spray bottle
WHAT TO DO
1. To concoct the bombs, mix the citric acid, cornstarch, and baking soda together in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the soap glitter to the dry ingredients and blend with a spatula.
3. In a measuring cup, combine the grapeseed oil with 20 drops of spearmint essential oil. Stir with the spatula.
4. Pour the scented oil into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix well with the spatula.
5. Add 15 drops of lime green soap dye and mash the mixture together until it is the texture of cookie dough. (Don’t worry if it fizzes a little.)
6. Using the melon baller, scoop out a ball of the mixture into your hand. Press the ball tightly together and shape to form a ball. Place the ball onto a cookie sheet covered in waxed paper. Repeat until all of the mixture has been formed into bombs.
7. Spritz each bomb with one or two sprays of witch hazel. They will fizz at first, but will eventually dry to a crust. Allow the bombs to air dry for a few hours, then turn them over and spritz the other side. Allow to dry overnight.
8. To package your bombs, place three balls into a cellophane favor bag.
9. Use the striped ribbon to tie each bag closed.
10. To embellish the bags, cut the kelly green paper into leaves shaped like mint, then crease them lengthwise and fold for a leaf-like effect. Punch a hole in one end of each leaf. You will need two leaves per bag.
11. To create the labels, write “Mojito Bath Bombs” on a round tag with a lime Sharpie.
12. Using the thin mint ribbon, tie one tag and two mint leaves onto each bag. Those bath bombs fizz fo’ shizzle!
Recipe For Success: If your bath bombs are crumbly and won’t stick together, add a few more drops of oil. If they seem too gooey, add more cornstarch.
Citric Acid “Sour Salt:” Citric acid is a sour salt that comes from lemons and limes. You can buy it in the grocery store in the spice aisle. Besides being used in cooking, it is also a water softener.
This recipe makes ten 1¼” bombs. Package nine as gifts and save one for yourself. You’ve got to test it, right?!
Leave a Reply