This summer, Kitty’s go-to earrings are a pair made out of handmade paper. She loves how lightweight they are and that the ornate print goes with everything. It dawned on us that we could raid our scrapbook paper stash and make our own paper earrings in a flash!
So we each picked out a piece of scrapbook paper with colorful swirls and flourishes and cut out little rectangles to turn into earrings. We decided we should seal the paper to give it extra shine and rigidity. So we got out the clear nail polish to use as a kind of “resin.” Worked like magic! Then we punched holes at the tops of the paper pieces and dangled them from earring wires. Of course we couldn’t resist adding little bee charms to give them a little playful touch! Here’s a step by step video we made to show you how we made these DIY Paper Earrings. Follow along with the video then get out your supplies and make your own. We have written steps below for you to refer to. And if you have any questions, leave us a comment. We will reply! We love hearing from you!
Video: How To Make Paper Earrings
How To Make Paper Earrings
2 Bee charms
2 Earring wires
Metal hole punch pliers (or tiny hole punch)
Clear nail polish
1. Start by looking around at the scrapbook paper design and pick out the section you’d like to feature in your earrings. Cut 2 rectangles out of the paper that are 10mm x 35mm.
2. Protect your work surface with a square of cardstock or newspaper. Coat the top of the scrapbook paper rectangles with clear nail polish. Be sure to paint all the way out to the edges, and don’t worry about brush strokes. Let the clear nail polish dry completely before flipping the scrapbook paper over and painting the other side. Let dry.
TIP: To keep your paper rectangles from sticking while you paint them, make 2 little “stands” for them that raises them off the newspaper or cardstock you are working on. We used poster putty! We made 2 balls of putty and pressed it onto the cardstock then placed our paper rectangles on top. Worked like a charm!
3. Once the clear nail polish has dried completely, punch a hole at the top center of each paper rectangle. Try to get close to the top edge, but not so close that the hole could tear through.
4. To make your pretty paper rectangles into earrings, use the chain-nose pliers to open the loop on one of the earring wires. It helps to look for the split in the loop. Then you can grasp that part of the loop with the pliers and rotate to open the loop while keeping its round shape.
5. Slide a bee charm into the loop.
6. Then slide one of the paper rectangles into the loop. Before you close the loop, check to see that the paper will face the way you intended when it is dangling from the earring. Also, make sure the bee is on top of the paper facing forward.
7. Close the loop on the earring wire with the chain-nose pliers by gently rotating the loop closed.
8. Repeat to make the second earring.
Aren’t you amazed that you can turn paper into earrings?! We are! And we can’t wait to make a whole bunch with girlfriends just as soon as we can get together again. Every pair will be unique! Let us know if you make a pair of paper earrings. We’d love to know how it goes!
Jennifer & Kitty