We love to use clear resin in mosaic projects to let the color of the tiles show through. It may seem daunting to use for the first time, so just follow these simple steps to mix and pour two-part resin. We are using it here to finish a mosaic tray. Click here for the complete how-to for the table.
EnviroTex Lite Pour-On High Gloss Finish kit, 16 oz.
4 Straight-sided cups, 16 oz.
1. Before you mix the High-Gloss Finish, don your gloves and protective eyewear. In a well-ventilated area, pour the resin into a cup until it is half-full.
2. Pour the same amount of hardener into a second cup. Make sure the amounts in the cups are equal.
3. Pour the entire contents of both liquids into a third cup.
4. Stir immediately with a chopstick for one minute, whipping the mixture as you would whip batter.
5. Pour the mixture into another clean cup.
6. Mix vigorously for one more minute with a clean chopstick.
7. Immediately pour the resin mixture directly over the mosaic. Be sure resin falls across every item, keeping in mind that multiple coats may be necessary to cover items with a high profile.
8. Tilt the tray to help the resin reach all areas.
9. Place the tray on a perfectly level surface in a dust-free area. Five minutes after the resin is poured, bubbles may appear. To release them, gently exhale over the surface of the resin. (Do not blow on the resin. It is the CO2 in your exhaled breath that makes the resin de-gas.) Cover the poured resin tray with a cardboard box to keep it dust-free. Let cure for48 hours.
Finishing Tip: If you need a second coat, clean the surface of the cured resin with alcohol. Then repeat steps 1 thru 5 to pour another layer of resin. If your surface is smooth, with no items breaking through the resin, you are done!
We love getting pinned!