Give a tie-dyed t-shirt a twist with dip-dyed stripes! Learn how to tie-dye a t-shirt with ombre colors going from dark to light. We’ll show you how to tie the t-shirt and how to dip it for a color merge effect!
How To Tie-Dye A T-Shirt Ombre Style
100% cotton t-shirt, white (pre-washed)
1 packet powdered RIT dye, teal
3 rubber bands
liquid laundry soap
5 gallon plastic bucket
1 measuring cup
1. Wrap the rubber bands tightly around the t-shirt in 3 places to make horizontal stripes. Wet the t-shirt with plain water. Squeeze it out.
2. Put your gloves on! Mix 3 gallons of warm water, 1 tablespoon laundry soap, and 1 cup salt in the plastic bucket. Add the packet of RIT dye to the bucket and stir with the chopstick.
3. Hold the rubber-banded shirt by the shoulders and dip it bottom first all the way into the dye bucket, then lift it out right away. Let it drip for a minute.
4. Dip the shirt again bottom first back into the dye bucket, this time only up to the top rubber band and hold it there for 5 minutes. Lift the shirt out and let it drip for 1 minute.
5. Dip the shirt bottom first back into the dye bucket again, but up to the middle rubber band and hold it there for 10 minutes. Lift the shirt out and let it drip for 1 minute.
6. Dip the shirt bottom first one more time back into the dye bucket up to only the bottom rubber band and hold it there for 10 minutes. Lift the shirt out and let it drip for 1 minute.
7. Rinse in cold water for a couple of minutes till the water runs clear, then take the rubber bands off.
8. Wash your shirt in cold water and dry it on high heat to set the dye.
Take Care: Wash your t-shirt by itself the first few times you wear it. Then you can wash it with other clothes that are the same color.