Give the gift of relaxation with a sweet stack of scented sachets. This elegant present is so lovely it looks like it came from an art fair. But you can make these no-sew sachets in a flash! All you need are rich materials like fuchsia silk shantung, a purple poppy, and real lavender flowers. For a personal touch, rubber-stamp the top sachet with an ornate monogram. Make one for yourself and one for a friend!
To make each of the no sew sachets, you will need:
Materials & Embellishments
Fuchsia silk shantung, 5” x 5” square, 2 pieces
Purple satin ribbon, ¼” wide, 50” long
Purple silk flower
Alphabet letter rubber stamp, 1” square
Decorative rubber stamp, 4” square
Silver craft paint
Scented Herbs & Essences
Dried lavender flowers, ¼ cup
Whole flax seeds, ½ cup
Tools & Supplies
HeatnBond Iron-on Hem Adhesive (aka Therm O Web Fusible Web Tape)
WHAT TO DO
1. To personalize the sachet, lay one piece of the fabric on the newspaper. Using the foam paintbrush, carefully dab the silver paint onto the surface of the alphabet letter stamp.
2. Stamp the letter in the lower right-hand corner 1” from the edge. In the same manner, press the decorative stamp over the upper left-hand corner letting some of the design run off the edge. Let dry.
3. To make the sachet, lay the stamped fabric face-up and cover it with the unstamped piece. Sandwich a 5” piece of HeatnBond Tape between the top edges of the fabric. Using an iron with a silk setting, iron the edge until the tape melts and bonds the fabric. Repeat to seal two more sides, leaving one side open to pour in the filling.
4. To make the sachet filling, mix the dried lavender flowers with the flax seeds in a bowl.
5. Turn the sachet inside-right and use the funnel to pour the scented filling into the open end.
6. Close the sachet by folding the open end inside ½”. Sandwich a piece of HeatnBond Tape between the folded edges and iron to seal.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to create two more sachets. Stack the three sachets and tie the purple satin ribbon around them like a package. Tie the ends in a bow and snip the loops in half to make six ribbon tails.
8. Using the wire cutters, snip the stem of the silk flower leaving a 3” stem. Slide the stem of the silk flower into the knotted ribbon on top of the sachet.
Intense Scents: For a stronger scent, add 10 drops of lavender essential oil to the sachet filling. Let the mixture air dry for one hour to prevent the oil from staining the silk.
Nifty Gifty: These colorful sachets make thoughtful party favors when tied up individually. And they go together so quickly, you can make a basketful in no time!
These little sachets make a great gift for Mother’s Day!
Jennifer & Kitty
We love getting pinned!