Make this Long Teardrop Necklace. We’ll show you how with a step by step video tutorial and written instructions. This is a beautiful way to learn wirework!
We made a complete video tutorial to show you every step to make the Long Teardrop Necklace. We’ll show you how to create the pearl connectors using wirework and 24-gauge wire. This is a great jewelry making technique you can use for all kinds of projects.
How To A Long Teardrop Necklace
Chrysoprase briolette, 9mmx12mm
Gold ring, 16mm diameter
10 Pearls, 4mm
19″ Chain with clasp, gold
2″ Pearl chain
24-gauge wire, gold
1. To make the teardrop pendant, cut a piece of wire 3″ long. Center the briolette on the wire. Bend the wire ends up and crisscross the ends over the top of the briolette.
2. Straighten one end of the wire so it extends straight up from the top of the briolette.
3. Hold the crossed wires with the round-nose pliers and pull the tail around the straight wire two times. Trim with wire cutters.
4. Make a wrapped loop in the wire. To do this, grasp the wire just above the wraps using the round-nose pliers. Make a 90-degree bend in the wire over the top of the round-nose pliers.
5. Reposition the pliers to the top of the bend.
6. Pull the wire end around the pliers to form a partial loop.
7. Reposition the pliers so the bottom jaw is in the partial loop. Pull the tail of the wire the rest of the way around to complete the loop. Slide the last link of the pearl chain segment into the loop. Grasp the loop across with the pliers and pull the tail around the neck two times to make two wraps. Trim the end of the wire with wire cutters.
8. To attach the pearl chain to the gold ring, cut one link of the pearl chain and remove one tiny pearl.
9. Cut a 2″ piece of wire. Make a wrapped loop in one end (same technique as step 5) looping through the last link of the pearl chain. Slide the tiny pearl from the pearl chain onto the wire.
10. Make a wrapped loop in the wire just above the tiny pearl. Loop the wrapped loop around the ring, then finish with two wraps. Trim the wire.
11. To attach the ring and pendant to the chain, start by cutting the chain in half. To do this, simply cut the center most link with the wire cutters. Throw the cut pieces away.
12. Cut a piece of wire 3″ long. Make a wrapped loop in one end looping around the gold ring.
13. Slide 5 pearls onto the wire.
14. Make a wrapped loop above the pearls, looping through the last link in one half of the chain.
15. Repeat steps 12-14 to attach the other half of the chain to the ring.
You can adjust the length of the pendant before you make the necklace by using a shorter piece of pearl chain. This would also be very pretty made with a pearl as the pendant. What do you think? Do you like this style of necklace? We’d love to hear from you. Leave us a comment!
Jennifer & Kitty
If you like making wrapped loops, here are some more jewelry making projects you might enjoy.
Elegant Garnet Briolette Necklace