This Halloween, concoct a creepy tray with spooky spiders in a sea of red and black tiles.
You Will Need
Unfinished wood tray, 12 inches x 12 inches
71 Mosaic Mercantile vitreous glass ¾-inch tiles, Red
73 Mosaic Mercantile vitreous glass ¾-inch tiles, Black
3 red and black plastic spiders, 3 inches wide
8 ounce Envirotex-Lite Pour-on Finish kit
White primer spray paint
Silver metallic spray paint
Amazing Goop all-purpose contact adhesive
2 straight-sided paper cups, 10 ounce
Large dust-free box, big enough to fit over the tray
1. Prime and then spray-paint the tray silver on all sides. Inspect the bottom edges of the tray and seal any gaps with the Amazing Goop.
2. Arrange the tiles in the tray making a jagged, diagonal stripe of black across the center of the tray. Then fill in the corners with the red tiles.
3. Place the spiders on the black tile stripe like they are crawling in the same direction. Remove a tile directly beneath each spider’s abdomen so they fit down into the tray.
4. Use the goop to glue down all of the tiles applying the glue to the bottom, rougher side of each tile. Then glue the spiders in place.
5. Put on your gloves! Following the directions on the Envirotex-Lite box, pour the entire contents of the resin and the hardener into a paper cup. Whip thoroughly for one minute with a chopstick. Don’t worry about bubbles. Dispense the mixture into a second cup and whip for one minute with a fresh chopstick. Immediately pour the resin over the tiles and spiders to create an even layer of resin (the spiders’ legs will stick out). Exhale (but don’t inhale) over the tray to release the bubbles.
7. Place the tray on a level surface, cover with a dust-free box, and let cure undisturbed for 48 hours. Then serve up some devilish delights to your favorite ghouls and goblins!
Leave a Reply