A shambala macrame bracelet is based on ancient prayer beads from Tibet, but now it’s also a trendy and popular friendship bracelet!
If you remember how to macramé, this bracelet will be super easy for you. If you have never macramed, no worries! We’ll show you what kind of beads and cord to get, how to set up a loom to work on using a clipboard, how to add the beads, and how to tie macramé knots around them. And we’ll show you how to use a button as a clasp.
Here’s a video we made showing step-by-step how to make the Shambala Macrame Bracelet. Follow along then use the steps below to make your own!
How To Macrame A Shambala Macrame Bracelet
Materials & Tools
12 round faceted crystal beads, 6 champagne and 6 clear AB
White hemp cord (make sure beads fit on the cord)
1 Vintage Victorian button (make sure it fits on the cord too)
2 pieces of felt (about 2″ square)
1 or 2 Binder clips
1. To set up your Shambala Macrame Bracelet, cut one 40” length of cord and one 20” length. Fold the long piece in half. Lay the short piece alongside the folded over piece.
2. Tie an overhand knot in the end with the fold over. This will be the loop that closes over your button clasp. (Check that it fits your button.)
3. Tuck the knot under the clip in a clip board (we protected ours with a small square of felt.)
4. Feed your beads onto the center cord. We alternated champagne and clear.
5. Secure the bottom of that cord to the bottom of the clipboard with a binder clip.
6. Now you are ready to macramé. Slide one bead to the top next to the clipboard clip. Pick up the left cord in your left hand. Pick up the right cord in your right hand. Make a 4 shape with the left cord crossing over the center cord.
7. Take the end of the right cord, go over the tail of the 4, under the crisscross of the left 4 cord and the center cord, then up and out through the opening in the 4.
8. Pull the sides cords to tighten the knot.
9. Repeat the previous steps on the other side of the center cord. Make a backwards 4 on the right side.
10. Take the left cord and cross it over the tail of the backwards 4, under the crisscross, then up and out through the opening in the backwards 4.
11. Slide up another bead and repeat the 4-knot on the left side. Pull the cords to tighten the knot.
12. Then make another 4-knot on the right side. Then slide up another bead and continue. Repeat until all the beads have been moved up the center cord and tied with two macramé knots in between. Make two macrame knots after the last bead. Remove the bracelet from the clipboard and tie an over hand knot in the cording.
13. Slide the button on the center cord.
14. Tie another overhand knot in the cord. Trim the ends.
Once you learn how to make this beautiful Shambala Macrame Bracelet, you can change out the beads and the colors to create your own pretty beaded bracelets. Sometimes these pretty Shambala Macrame Bracelets are called friendship bracelets. We think they’d be a fun bracelet to make for a girl’s night craft night. Set out all kinds of beads and start making!
Jennifer & Kitty
We love getting pinned!
We have lots of jewelry making tutorials. Here are some favorites: