Here’s easy way to transform a pair of square beads into a pair of earrings with a little added flair! Wire Wrapped Bead Earrings! We’ll show you how to wrap wire around a square gemstone bead. We think the wire wraps look very artsy, like something you’d find in the Sundance Jewelry Catalog!
Here’s a video tutorial we made showing how to wrap the square gemstone beads with wire to turn them into earrings. Follow along as we make the earrings then use the steps below to make your own. We’d love to see your version!
How to Make Your Own Wire Wrapped Bead Earrings
2 Square beads (Ours are jasper.)
Silver-plated wire, 24-gauge
2 Silver earring hooks
1. Cut a piece of 24-gauge wire about 7-9″ long using the wire cutters. (You might need more if your bead is larger.)
2. Slide a bead onto the wire leaving about a 1-2″ tail or “stem”. (We’ll make a wrapped loop in this piece later.)
3. Bend the long wire up over the front of the bead.
4. Wrap the wire all the way around the stem wire coming out of the top of the bead.
5. Flip the bead over and bend the wire down the back of the bead.
6. Bring the wire around the bottom of the bead and back up the front. This time bring the wire around the other side of the stem wire.
7. Wrap wire all the way around the stem wire and bring it down the back, around the bottom, and back up the front of the bead.
8. Wrap the wire around the stem loosely several times. You will have three wires down the front of the bead and two coming up the back.
9. Trim the end of the wire.
10. Press the end down with the chain-nose piers.
11. Make a wrapped loop in the stem wire using the round-nose pliers. Start by grasping the wire just above the wrappings.
12. Bend the wire 90 degrees over the pliers.
13. Place the round-nose pliers in the top of the bend and pull the tail of the wire around the jaw of the pliers to make a partial loop.
14. Reposition the bottom jaw of the pliers in the partial loop and finish pulling the wire all the way around to make a complete loop.
15. Hold the loop with the pliers and wrap the tail around the neck two times. Trim the end of the wire.
16. Slide the loop onto the earring wire.
17. Close the earring wire loop with the pliers. Repeat to make a second earring!
Isn’t that a fun way to transform gemstone beads? We love how they turned out!
Jennifer & Kitty