We absolutely love making soy candles in these delightful little tins! For this one, we blended fragrant mandarin orange with luscious wild cherry, then created an artsy label for the lid. You can download the artwork below!
We made a video lesson for Soy Candle Tins for Curious.com. Sign up for Curious to watch our lesson for free.
Lidded tin, 3” diameter
Microwaveable soy wax for containers
Pre-waxed bleached wick (not wire or zinc core) with clip, large
Mandarin orange liquid candle scent
Wild cherry liquid candle scent
Red dye block for candles
Pyrex measuring cup with pouring spout
Candle making thermometer
White index card
White printer paper
1. Weigh Your Wax: To do this, set the tin on the kitchen scale and zero it out. (Or note the weight of the tin so you can subtract that from the weight once it is filled.) Fill the tin with water up to the height you’d like your candle to be and weigh it again. This is approximately how much wax you will need. Weigh out that much wax, adding 2 to 4 ounces extra for spillage, shrinkage, and whatever sticks to the bowl. (Ours was 7 ounces plus 2 ounces extra.)
2. Preparing Your Wick: Wash and dry the tin. Use the wick keeper to adhere the bottom of the wick clip to the inside bottom of the tin. Make sure the wick clip is centered in the tin. Tie the other end of the wick around a pencil and rest it across the top of the tin.
3. Melting Your Wax: Heat the wax in a microwave safe container – preferably one with a pouring spout like a Pyrex measuring cup. Heat in 30-second increments and once all chips are melted, test the temperature of the wax. Heat the wax to 160°F to 180°F.
4. Adding Color & Scent: Shave a few carrot curls off of the dye block using the potato peeler and add to the wax when the wax is between 160°F to 180°F. Stir with the chopstick. Drip a few drops of melted wax onto the white index card to see if the color is to your liking. Add more color if desired. Let the wax cool to 125°F, then add 1½ teaspoons of mandarin orange and 1½ teaspoons of wild cherry liquid candle scents to the melted wax and stir.
5. Pouring Your Wax: Pour the wax into the wicked tin. Be sure to recenter the wick. Let the candle cool completely (24 hours is recommended.) Remove the pencil and trim the wick to ¼ inch.
6. Print the MANDARIN CHERRY SOY CANDLE label and cut it out. Attach it to lid with double-stick tape. (Laminate first, if desired.)
Right-click to download label.
Leave a Reply