Arrrgh! Make a Pirate Ship Birdhouse cool enough for Jack Sparrow!
How To Make A Pirate Ship Birdhouse
9″ wooden birdhouse
7″ wooden skewer (Mom or Dad may need to cut one for you)
5″ craft bird
craft paint: yellow, red, brown, white, and black
yellow craft foam
black craft foam
Beacon’s Craft Foam Glue
adhesive glue dots
black Sharpie pen
1. To make the Pirate Ship Birdhouse, paint the roof of the birdhouse white and let it dry. Paint red stripes on the roof and let them dry.
2. Paint the edges of the house and the perch yellow. Paint the rest of the house brown. Let it dry.
3. To make the porthole windows, cut out 6 yellow craft foam circles about the size of a quarter and 6 black craft foam circles the size of a dime. Glue the black circles on top of the yellow circles. Draw little black dots on the yellow circle around the black circle. Glue the portholes to the sides of the house.
4. To make a frame around the hole, trace a quarter onto a piece of yellow craft foam. Draw a bigger circle around the quarter circle. Cut the bigger circle out. Then fold the circle in half and cut the quarter circle out. Draw little black dots on the yellow craft foam circle, then glue it around the hole above the perch.
5. To make the mast, paint the skewer black and let dry. To make the flags, cut 2 rectangles and 2 triangles out of black craft foam. Sandwich the skewer between the 2 triangles and 2 rectangles and glue them together.
6. Cut a skull and crossbones out of white craft foam and glue it onto one side of the rectangle flag. Cut 2 eyes out of black craft foam and glue onto the skull. Draw your own skull and crossbones or use these templates.
7. Have Mom or Dad cut a notch out of the bottom of the cork to match the pitch of the roof. Stick the mast into the top of the cork. Use the glue dots to stick the cork onto the roof.
8. Make an eye patch for the bird out of black craft foam and use a glue dot to stick it onto his face. Stick the bird on the perch with glue dots and call him Jack Sparrow.
We love birdhouse crafts! Here are a few more we have done:
Jennifer & Kitty
We love getting Pinned!