Video How-to: Rainbow Ribbon Bracelets
If you love the materials we used for our Rainbow Ribbon Bracelets and want to make a trio of bracelets just like ours, we have kits for you! Just click here to shop for the kits in our store. Once you have your kit, you can follow along with us in the video while you make your own Rainbow Ribbon Bracelets. It’ll be like we’re making jewelry right there with you!
How To Make The Rainbow Ribbon Bracelets
Materials & TOOLS
- 30″ Turquoise satin ribbon, ¼” wide
- 30″ Blue satin ribbon, ¼” wide
- 30″ Purple satin ribbon, ¼” wide
- 3 Metal bangle bracelets, 2¾” diameter
- 3 Lengths 26-gauge brass wire, 24″ each
- Wire cutters
1. To get started, tie the end of one ribbon onto the bangle, leaving about a 1 1/2″ tail. This will temporarily hold ribbon in place.
2. Wrap the ribbon around the bangle overlapping the previous wrap by half the width of the ribbon. (If your satin ribbon is only shiny on one side like ours, face the shiny side out.) Pull the ribbon tight as you continue to go around bangle.
Keep wrapping and overlapping the ribbon until the entire bangle is covered.
3. Untie the first end of ribbon you tied temporarily in step 1. Be sure to keep holding the ribbon in place so it doesn’t start to unwrap itself!
Tie the two ends of ribbon together with a double knot. Do not trim the ribbon yet. (You’ll want those ends for a little trick we’ll show you coming up!)
4. Now you’re ready to add the wire design on top of the ribbon. To do this, take a piece of wire and hold it against the bangle next to the knot you just made. Leave a 1″ tail of wire sticking out by the knot, and start wrapping the wire around the bangle.
5. To create the pattern, wrap the wire two times straight around the bangle. Then make a diagonal wrap moving over about ½”. Make two straight wraps again, then another diagonal wrap.
Continue this wire pattern all the way around the ribbon wrapped bangle.
6. To secure, twist the tails of the wires together and bend the ends across the ribbon knot. Then tie another ribbon knot over the twisted wires to hide the ends.
7. Use the wire cutters to trim the ends of the wire.
8. As a final touch, cut the ribbon ends at an angle leaving about an 1 1/2″ tail. If you’d like, dab the ends of the satin ribbons with clear nail polish to prevent fraying (though sometimes that frayed look is cool!).
Repeat the instructions above to make each bracelet in your color trio. And remember that you can create all nine of the bangles for a playful, rainbow arm party!
Aren’t these bracelets awesome?! They’re so wearable! If you like the materials we used in our Rainbow Ribbon Bracelets, check out the new kits in our Shop. We have bracelet kits with all the materials in a blue set we call Bahama Waters, a magenta set we call Tropical Sunrise, and a neutral set we call Beach Sands! (Tropical Sunrise is pictured above.) Make all three sets and stack them for a complete rainbow! Let us know how your bracelets turn out. We’d love to hear from you!
Jennifer & Kitty