Make a pretty kissing ball featuring vintage brooches and pearls on a bed of satin and organdy roses. Pure romance on your wedding day!
Styrofoam ball, 5” diameter
15 Vintage rhinestone brooches and clip-on earrings, ¾”-1¼”
50 Second-hand pearls, 8-10mm
22 Sheer satin flowers with rhinestone centers, cream
8 Flatback rhinestones, crystal, 10mm
Satin ribbon, cream, 1½” wide
Organdy ribbon, white, 7/8” wide
Organdy ribbon, cream, 7/8” wide
Vanilla fragrance oil
White or cream thread
Hot glue gun & glue sticks
Rose fragrance oil
1. Make ribbon roses out of the cream satin ribbon. To do this, measure and cut a yard of ribbon. Pinch one end of the ribbon and roll it around itself to form the center of the rose. Secure at the bottom with a needle and thread by sewing a few loose stitches across the bottom of the ribbon. Leave the thread attached.
2. Create the petals by folding the ribbon away from the center and pinching at the base of the rose. After every three petals or so, secure with a few more stitches across the bottom of the rose. Continue folding and loosely stitching the rose until you reach the end of the ribbon. Lock your thread by sewing back and forth across the back of the rose and finish with a double knot. Trim the end of the thread. Repeat to make six roses out of the satin ribbon.
3. Use the same technique in steps 1 and 2 to make eight white and eight cream organdy roses.
4. To create the looped handle, cut an 8” piece of cream organdy ribbon and fold it in half. Poke a hole in the Styrofoam ball with closed scissors. Fill the hole with hot glue and tuck the ends of the ribbon into the hole with the scissors.
6. Starting at the top by the handle, attach the ribbon roses and brooches to the ball with hot glue. Place the roses and brooches as close together as possible. To scent the kissing ball, put five drops of fragrance oil on the back of the last ribbon rose before gluing it down.
7. Fill in the spaces between roses and brooches with the sheer satin flowers with rhinestone centers. To do this, snip the flowers from their stems with the wire snips. Poke a hole in the Styrofoam using closed scissors. Fill the hole with hot glue and immediately push the back of the flower into the hole.
8. Hot glue pearls here and there in clusters. Fill in any gaps with rhinestones or smaller pearls. Then find your sweetheart and sneak a little smooch under the kissing ball!