Turn a throw pillow into a heart pillow with silky ribbon embroidery hearts for Valentine’s Day. So pretty and so easy!
Materials & Tools
Raspberry silk dupioni
Purple silk dupioni
1. Freehand draw the largest heart on the pillow with chalk. Draw two more hearts concentrically inside that heart leaving about an inch between the outlines.
2. Tear a one-inch wide strip of raspberry silk (it frays beautifully) about 30 inches long. (Your measurements may vary depending on the size of your throw pillow.) Tack the end of the fabric at the bottom of the largest heart by sewing a small stitch into the pillow then over and through the end of the silk. Tack the end with four or five stitches. Cut the thread. The ends of the thread will blend in with the fraying and there’s no need to knot with so many tacking stitches.
3. Extend the fabric along the outline and tack the fabric down to the pillow about three inches from the first set of stitches.
4. Continue to lay the fabric along the heart outline attaching the fabric with four or five stitches every few inches. Remember to cut the thread after each set of stitches so you won’t have a long piece of thread stretched between the tackings. When you have completed the first heart, trim any excess fabric.
5. Create a second heart using a strip of purple silk about 24 inches long. Use the same technique to outline the second heart by tacking the silk strip to the throw pillow in two-inch intervals.
6. Outline the center heart with a strip of raspberry silk about 16 inches long using the same tacking technique.
A perfect pillow for Valentine’s Day, but elegant enough to decorate your bedroom all year!