This handsome Steampunk Pocket Watch Tassel started life as a simple pocket watch. We see pocket watches at the flea market pretty often and got a deal on this one. We decided to make it into tassel with copper, silver, and brass chain. We found some antique skeleton keys at the flea market and decided to add them too! Let this inspire your own creation. You can follow the steps below, but add whatever “steampunky” charms you like!
Probably the most fun part of this project is collecting the materials. We found our pocket watch at our local Alameda Antiques Faire. It wasn’t running so it only cost $5. You can also find them at thrift stores and on ebay for just a few dollars. Keep an eye out for other steampunk items like skeleton keys, and look for a broken watch you can take apart for the inner workings like little tiny gears!
How To Make A Steampunk Pocket Watch Tassel
What You’ll Need
Flea Market Finds
1 vintage open-faced pocket watch, 2” to 2½”
3 skeleton keys, 2¼” to 2¾”
5 watch gears, 5mm to 10mm
2 Swarovski crystal rhinestones, teal, 2mm
1 Swarovski crystal rhinestone, teal, 5mm
24 chains, mixed metals, 6” to 6½”
14” satin ribbon, brown, 1/8” wide (cut into 7” pieces)
35” satin ribbon, olive, 1/8” wide (cut into 7” pieces)
7” satin ribbon, navy, 1/8” wide
24” satin ribbon, brown, 5/8” wide
24 jump rings, copper, 8mm
24-gauge brass wire
20-gauge copper wire
14-gauge brass wire
Tools & Supplies
Beadalon Bead Stringing Glue
tiny flathead screw driver
What To Do
1. Start by removing the glass front from the pocket watch. If needed wedge the glass from the back using a tiny flathead screwdriver. Glue the tiny watch gears onto the watch face using the bead stringing glue. Embellish with rhinestones. Replace the glass front. (Skip this step if your pocket watch works!)
2. To create a connector for the tassel, wrap an 11” piece of the 20-gauge copper wire around the circumference of the pocket watch.
3. Wrap one end of the wire two times around the other at the bottom of the pocket watch.
4. Finish the connector by creating a large wrapped loop. Trim the ends.
5. To make the tassel ring, create a ¾” diameter jump ring using the 14-gauge brass wire. Open the tassel ring with the chain-nose pliers as you would a jump ring. Slide the end through the connector at the bottom of the pocket watch. Close the tassel ring. Coil 24-gauge brass wire around the tassel ring.
6. Attach the 24 lengths of chain to the wire-wrapped tassel ring with the jump rings. Tie the skeleton keys to the tassel ring at various lengths using the thin olive and navy ribbons. Use the rest of the thin ribbon to add strands to the tassel.
7. Slide the wide brown ribbon through the pendant at the top of the pocket watch to make the fob.
We have some more Steampunk style projects here on the blog. Check them out!
Do you love Steampunk? Have you made anything Steampunk? Let us know in the comments!
Jennifer & Kitty
We love getting pinned!