We love flea market finds and we love jewelry so it was natural for us to marry the two! We made this tiered jewelry display with flea market china plates and wooden spools. Then we gave it a little Steampunk Chic flair with tiny locks and keys!
From The Flea Market
2 vintage souvenir plates, 7½ in. and 10 in.
1 vintage souvenir espresso saucer, 4½ in.
4 wooden spools
12″ broken rhinestone necklace
4 luggage locks
10 luggage keys
14 pearlized shirt buttons
32″ white rosary chain
4 Swarovski crystal rhinestones, light blue, 4mm
10 crystal bicones, light blue, 4mm
10 pony beads, copper, size 6/0
4 external-tooth locking washers, 3/8″
10 internal-tooth locking washers, ¼”
2 Vintaj Diamond Trellis Filigrees, copper, 21mm x 64mm
2 filigree squares, gold, 35mm x 35mm
2 filigrees diamonds, gold, 25mm x 35mm
4 jump rings, copper, 5mm
24-gauge silver-plate wire
Plaid FolkArt Stains, Oak #2802
Plaid FolkArt Artists’ Varnish, Gloss #882
Plaid FolkArt Enamel, Pure Orange #4008
Plaid FolkArt Enamel, Yellow Citron #4119
Plaid FolkArt Enamel, Cayman Blue #4065
Tools & Supplies
Gorilla Super Glue
Beacon Adhesives Quick Grip
1. Start by creating hangers to glue under the plates. Cut a 1½” length of 24-gauge wire and bend it into a hairpin.
2. Slide the hairpin through the holes in the front of a shirt button.
3. Wrap one end of the wire twice around the other.
4. Finish the other end with a wrapped loop.
Here’s a video we made showing how to make a wrapped loop.
(If you like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel!
5. Make 14 button hangers and superglue the button faces to the underside of the two smaller plates, 8 on one and 6 on the other.
6. Stain the wooden spools, then give them a coat of varnish. Wrap two filigree squares around one spool and secure with Quick Grip. Wrap and glue two filigree diamonds around another spool. Wrap the last two spools with one copper trellis filigree each and secure with glue.
7. Stack the plates and spools, and glue together with superglue. Glue a segment of rhinestone chain to the plate around the base of the spool for each tier.
8. To add color to the keys, coat one side of each with a layer of enamel paint and let dry for an hour. Bake the keys on a foil-covered cookie sheet according to the manufacturer’s instructions. paint bottle. Repeat the process to enamel both sides of each key.
9. Swag the rosary chain around the plates by opening and closing the links with chain-nose pliers, slipping the open links of the chain onto the shirt button hangers.
10. Superglue an internal locking washer to each key. Suspend the keys from the shirt button hangers with wrapped loops featuring bicones and pony beads.
11. Superglue an external locking washer onto the face of each luggage lock and glue a rhinestone in the center. Hang the luggage locks on the button hangers with jump rings.
This project was inspired by our book Steampunk Chic. Click here to see inside the book and maybe even buy yourself a copy. Go ahead…you deserve it! Send us a note and we’ll sign it for you!
Jennifer & Kitty