Make a Vintage Button Valentine’s Day Card using old buttons, a craft heart, and gold leaf. We added a pin back to the heart so your Valentine can keep the heart and pin it to a pillow! We collect old buttons and have jars full, so for this Valentine’s Day Card we poured out our buttons and picked out ones that looked great together. We mixed tortoise shell, ivory, and metal colors for our heart, but you could do all white pearly shirt buttons or red buttons! If you don’t have a button collection, don’t fret. You can buy bags of buttons at the craft store.
How To Make A Vintage Button Valentine’s Day Card
Blank card with matching envelope, ivory, 4″x5½”
Red card stock, 3″x4½”
Wooden craft heart, 3″x3″
Gold leaf adhesive sizing
2 Gold leaf sheets, 5½x6″
Small craft paintbrush
Double-sided foam tape
1. Start by gold leafing the wooden craft heart. Here’s a video we made showing how to gold leaf. In the video we gold leafed a picture frame, but it will work the same for the wooden craft heart.
Paint the front and edges of the wooden craft heart with adhesive sizing. Let dry then paint a second coat. the surface will feel sticky.
2. Lay one of the gold leaf sheets onto the craft heart. The sizing will grab the gold leaf. Use a dry paintbrush to press the gold leaf down onto the heart. Brush away any pieces of gold leaf that don’t stick. Apply more gold leaf to any uncovered areas.
3. Arrange a layer of vintage buttons on the gold-leafed heart. Glue each vintage button down using the E6000. Let dry. Then glue a second layer of buttons on top of the first.
4. Glue the pin back to the back of the heart with the E6000.
5. Center the heart on the piece of red cardstock. Mark two spots for the pin back holes. Poke the two holes in the red cardstock, then attach the heart to the card using the pin back. Next center the red cardstock with the heart on the front of the blank card. Adhere the red cardstock to the blank card with double-sided foam tape.
Isn’t that a fun card? Makes us want to go shopping at the flea market for more vintage buttons!
Happy Valentine’s Day,
Jennifer & Kitty