We love the shape of these stackable storage boxes. To us they look like hat boxes! So we decided to decorate them with vintage clip art and bows to make fancy Vintage Decorated Storage Boxes!
We are Plaid Ambassadors and get all kinds of wonderful paint and other craft materials from Plaid. We love their products and used their craft paints and Mod Podge for this project.
How To Make Vintage Decorated Storage Boxes
3 round craft boxes: 7½”, 9½” and 11½” in diameter
Vintage script decoupage paper or vintage script scrapbook paper
Vintage clip art: roses, flowers, and birds (Ours are from thegraphicsfairy.com )
Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paints: Summer Linen #32075, Pink Carnation #32037
Mod Podge Gloss
Pink satin ribbon, 1½” wide, 3 yards
3 Pink silk roses
3 Vintage or vintage-style rhinestones buttons
Foam paintbrush (We used this to paint boxes.)
Craft paintbrush (We used this for the Mod Podge – we think it works better than foam.)
Hot glue gun & glue sticks
1. Print the clip art on a color LASER printer. We took ours to FedEx/Kinko’s. If the graphics are printed on Inkjet printer, the ink might run.
2. Paint the lids of the storage boxes Pink Carnation using a foam paintbrush and let dry. We used 3 to 4 coats to get good coverage.
3. Paint the boxes Summer Linen and let dry.
4. Decoupage the vintage script paper around the sides of each box, leaving about 1” uncovered around the top edge so the lids will fit back on the boxes. (You may need to use two pieces of paper for the medium and large boxes.) Let dry then seal each box with a layer of Mod Podge.
5. Cut out vintage clip art images. Decoupage a bird onto the front center of each box. Then decoupage a cluster of roses and flowers to either side of each bird.
6. Place the lids on the boxes. Tie three bows and hot glue one to the front edge of each lid. Hot glue a pink rose topped with a vintage rhinestone button into the center of each bow. Finish by stacking the boxes.
Didn’t these Vintage Decorated Storage Boxes turn out pretty?! What would you store in them?
Jennifer & Kitty
We love getting Pinned!
Leave a Reply