Learn how to make a pair of Wire Wrapped Drop Earrings. We love how artsy these handmade earrings look. The crystal teardrops dress the earrings up, but we think the wire wraps give them more of a Boho, wear with blue jeans feeling.
We made this video tutorial to show you how to make your own wire wrapped earrings. We’ll start with a wrapped loop, then show you how to wrap the wire around the top of the teardrop crystal. So fun! And so fast!
Video: How To Make Wire Wrapped Drop Earrings
How To Make Wire Wrapped Drop Earrings
2 Faceted teardrop crystal briolette beads (top drilled)
2 Earring wires, silver
24-gauge wire, silver
Steps To Make Each Earring
1. To get started, use the wire cutters to cut a piece of 24-gauge wire about 7″ long. Grasp the wire about 1″ from the end with the round-nose pliers. Push the wire over to create a 90-degree bend in the wire.
2. Grasp the other end of the wire and pull it up to crisscross over the first wire.
3. Hold the loop you just made with the round-nose pliers, holding it across the loop.
4. Straighten the long piece of wire.
5. Then wrap the short tail of wire around the long piece at the base of the loop two times.
6. Trim the end of the short piece of wire.
7. Feed the teardrop briolette bead onto the long end of the wire.
8. Feed the bead up to the loop then slide it back about 1/4″. Then bend the loop end up so the loop winds up on top of the teardrop bead.
9. Grasp the other end of the wire and pull it up to cross over the loop forming a wire triangle.
10. Wrap the end of the wire around the loop below the two existing wraps.
11. Wrap the wire around the top of the bead making each wrap below the previous. Wrap until you cover the hole through the bead, then start wrapping back up towards the top loop.
12. Trim the end with wire cutters.
13. Feed the earring wire through the loop at the top of the bead.
14. Press the earring wire closed. Repeat to make a matching earring.
We love these earrings. They are so simple but look so artsy and handmade. We have made a pair in black that go with everything! What do you think? Would you wear them? Do you think you’ll make them? Let us know with a comment.
Jennifer and Kitty